Wayland Square Diner announces sudden closure after 67 years of operation

The closure is one of many in Wayland Square since May.

This is the fourth restaurant to close in Wayland Square in recent months.

Wayland Square Diner announced its closure on Monday through a letter posted on its storefront. The diner, which first opened in 1957, cited “failed lease negotiations” as a main reason for the closure. 

This is the fourth restaurant to close in Wayland Square in recent months. The Salted Slate and Minerva’s Pizza both closed in May, while Feed the Cheeks shut their doors in Wayland Square early July.

“Thank you for the memories and for being part of our journey,” owner Michele Brunelle wrote in the letter. “We will miss you all.”

ghoshchan_wayland_tacazonkaiolena.jpeg

Some have connected the recent closures with the Washington Bridge demolition, which has deterred traffic into the Wayland Square area

In an interview with the Boston Globe in March, Brunelle said that the diner had been struggling financially in recent months. 

Brunelle did not respond to The Herald’s request for comment. 

Initially named “Ruffuls Restaurant,” Wayland Square Diner was founded by the Ruffuls family. The establishment opened as a deli before later transitioning to restaurant operations.

Avani Ghosh

Avani Ghosh is a Metro Editor covering politics & justice and community & activism. She is a junior from Ohio studying Health & Human Biology and International & Public Affairs. She is an avid earl grey enthusiast and can be found making tea in her free time.

Megan Chan

Megan is a Senior Staff Writer covering community and activism in Providence. Born and raised in Hong Kong, she spends her free time drinking coffee and wishing she was Meg Ryan in a Nora Ephron movie.