Rashid Zia ’01 to end term as Dean of the College in 2025 for year-long sabbatical

Zia plans to return to the University as a faculty member following a sabbatical overseas, according to people familiar with the matter.

As dean of the College, Zia oversees the Open Curriculum and academic advising. 

Photo courtesy of the University.
As dean of the College, Zia oversees the Open Curriculum and academic advising. Photo courtesy of the University.

Rashid Zia ’01, dean of the College, will go on sabbatical overseas at the end of this academic year, according to multiple people familiar with the matter. 

Zia plans to return to the University as a faculty member following his sabbatical. The decision to step down was made at least two years ago, sources said. During the year-long sabbatical, Zia plans to spend time with family.

As dean of the College, Zia oversees the Open Curriculum and academic advising. He is well-known on campus for supporting undergraduates and is regularly seen at the Sharpe Refectory meeting with students.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Julianna Chang

Julianna Chang is a University News Editor who oversees the academics and advising and student government beats. A sophomore from the Bay Area, Julianna is studying Biology and Political Science on the pre-medical track. When she's not in class or in the office, she can be found eating some type of noodle soup and devouring bad books.