Fmr. US Rep. David Cicilline and seven others join Brown Corporation

The University’s highest governing body accepted $68 million in gifts at its October meeting.

<p>In her letter, Paxson said that conduct during student protests of the Corporation’s meeting was “concerning,” mirroring an earlier letter from the University.</p>

In her letter, Paxson said that conduct during student protests of the Corporation’s meeting was “concerning,” mirroring an earlier letter from the University.

David Cicilline, a former U.S. Representative and Providence mayor, was one of seven new members appointed to Brown’s Corporation during its annual October meeting.

Former Chancellor Samuel Mencoff ’78 P’11 P’15 also joined the Board of Fellows, according to a letter to the Brown community by President Christina Paxson P’19 P’MD’20. At the meeting, the governing body accepted $68 million in gifts to the University since May 2024.

In her letter, Paxson said that conduct during student protests of the Corporation’s meeting was “concerning,” mirroring an earlier letter from the University. Pro-divestment activists are currently under investigation for conduct violations related to that protest.

At the meeting, Corporation members also discussed the effects of the Supreme Court’s decision to end affirmative action, including strategies to encourage students from underrepresented groups to apply to Brown. The University saw a 40% drop in the share of Black freshman enrolled in the class of 2028, The Herald previously reported.

A Corporation committee also discussed limited classroom and office space on College Hill, attributed to a greater number of faculty, students and academic programs. According to the letter, the University collaborated with a design firm to determine how much additional space is needed, including “projected growth in master’s degree programs.”

Paxson announced the establishing of seven endowed professorships, including the Peltz Ruttenberg Family Directorship for the Center for the Study of Race and Ethnicity in America. Perri Peltz ’82 P’19 P’22, for whom the professorship was named, recommended a student for admission to Brown in violation of University policy, The Herald found in a 2024 investigation.

The Corporation also appointed 4 faculty to named chairs.

Anisha Kumar

Anisha Kumar is a section editor covering University Hall. She is a sophomore from Menlo Park, California concentrating in English and Political Science who loves speed-crosswording and rewatching sitcoms.