These are the 10 companies student activists want Brown to divest from

The Herald fact-checked the relationship of the companies with the Israeli government

Using additional source materials, The Herald confirmed relationships between seven of the 10 identified companies and the Israeli military.

On Monday, the Advisory Committee for University Resources Management will issue a recommendation to President Christina Paxson P’19 P’MD’20 on whether to approve a proposal to divest from 10 companies which student activists claim “facilitate the Israeli occupation of Palestinian territory.” 

Much of the information in the proposal, which was written by the student-led Brown Divest Coalition, comes from Who Profits, a database of companies affiliated with the “Israeli occupation economy,” and the American Friends Service Committee Investigative Tool. Of the 10 companies identified by BDC, four are listed on the Who Profits database: Volvo Group, Boeing, General Electric and Motorola Solutions. 

Anila Lopez Marks ’26, a coalition representative for Jews for Ceasefire Now, cited Who Profits’ use of observational data as a contributing factor in the BDC’s choice to rely on the source. She also cited the AFSC’s 1947 Nobel Prize Win as a testament to its credibility.

Who Profits did not reply to The Herald’s request for comment on the sources used for their database.

According to Lopez Marks, the divestment proposal seeks to “ground people in the fact that this University is complicit in acts (of genocide and apartheid).” University representatives have consistently resisted this characterization, emphasizing that Brown is not directly invested in weapons manufacturers and affirming the moral standards of the external partners who manage 96% of Brown’s endowment.

For Brooke Verschleiser ’25, the president of Brown Students for Israel, the contributions from those companies are “essential to Israel’s defense against terrorist organizations, and (their) products and services save Israeli lives.” She added that “many of these companies are critical to U.S. national security.”

Verschleiser and other students reviewed BDC’s proposal before writing a response titled “The Case Against Divestment.” In the report, the students argue that the University’s indirect investment in these companies do not constitute social harm. 

Both proposals agree that the 10 companies identified by BDC are involved with the Israeli military. Here are the facts of those relationships.

Volvo Group (AB Volvo)

Volvo Group is a multinational transportation manufacturer known for producing trucks, buses and construction equipment. Volvo Group is separate from Volvo Cars, which manufactures luxury vehicles.

In their report, BDC wrote that Volvo Group and its subsidiary Merkavim supply buses used in part to transport both Israelis and Palestinian political prisoners. The report also alleges that the company produces machinery, including wheel loaders and excavators, which BDC claims have been used by Israel to destroy Palestinian infrastructure.

In the past, Volvo has issued statements claiming limited control over how their products were used, as the sale of Volvo products to Israel is conducted through a “private importer.”  In 2018, the automobile manufacturer wrote that they “do not believe that the sale of Volvo products to business partners in Israel can reasonably be seen as a breach of our commitments under the UN Global Compact.”

The Israeli Ministry of Defense told representatives from Who Profits that they had “purchased NIS (Israeli currency) 28,104,830.98 worth of services from Volvo’s Israeli exclusive distributor, Mayer’s Cars and Trucks, for Volvo equipment, including Volvo vehicles, Volvo spare parts and the maintenance of existing Volvo equipment in the ministry’s use.”

The Herald was unable to find additional evidence to corroborate Who Profits’s research. 

Airbus

Airbus is a global aerospace company that produces commercial aircrafts, but also has divisions focusing on defense and space. 

BDC recommends divestment from Airbus due to its collaboration with two Israeli companies to operate unmanned surveillance drones, as well as the manufacturing of helicopters which have been sold to Israeli police. 

Airbus reported on the collaboration with the Israeli Aerospace Industries, boasting of the drone’s first flight to Germany. Several news sites also reported that the Israeli police had purchased Airbus’s H125 and H145 helicopters. 

Boeing

Boeing is an aerospace company that manufactures commercial, defense and space aircraft. 

BDC claims Boeing’s involvement in supplying Israel with weapons, bombs, helicopters, missiles and fighter jets necessitates University divestment.

In an official 2020 backgrounder, the aerospace company wrote that “Currently, the (Israeli Air Force) employs all versions of the F-15 Eagle, including the advanced F-15I Ra’am (Thunder) — a derivative of the U.S. Air Force F-15E Strike Eagle.” The F-15 Eagle is a fighter jet used in battle by the U.S. Air Force

In a report titled “Unlawful Use of US-Made Munitions and Violations of International Law by Israel since January 2023,” Amnesty International documented multiple instances of civilian deaths caused by Boeing-made Joint Direct Attack Munitions and Small Diameter Bombs, used by Israeli defense forces in attacks on the Gaza strip last May.

The New York Times also reported that Boeing is expected to deliver a package of military equipment to Israel sometime during or after 2029. 

General Dynamics

General Dynamics is an aerospace and defense company which also produces marine technology. 

BDC’s report charges General Dynamics with supplying Israeli military forces with tanks, fighter jets and bombs. Report authors also cited a YnetNews article claiming that Gulfstream, a subsidiary of General Dynamics, has supplied Israel with a special electronic mission aircraft used for surveillance.

A Defense Security Cooperation Agency news release estimated that Israel requested $647 million of American manufactured bombs and munitions in 2012. Boeing and General Dynamics were two of six primary contractors listed. The Middle East Eye also reported in 2021 that General Dynamics bombs have been sold to the Israeli military in 2007, 2012 and 2015. 

In a Defense Security Cooperation Agency press release from August 2024, the government of Israel requested to buy an estimated $61.1 million worth of mortar cartridges and fuses, listing General Dynamics as the primary contractor. 

General Electric 

General Electric has several divisions, including aerospace, healthcare, energy, financial services and software. 

BDC writes that General Electric’s technology powers an Israeli naval blockade of the Gaza Strip and Israeli fighter jets, citing claims by Who Profits and AFSC. The Herald was not able to find additional information on those claims. 

GE reported that the U.S. Air Force awarded the firm 1.58 billion dollars to manufacture engines for the Boeing F-15 EX Eagle II fighter jets in 2021.

Motorola Solutions

Motorola Solutions is a software, telecommunications equipment and video equipment provider created by Motorola Inc., a telecommunications company. 

BDC recommends that Brown divest from Motorola Solutions, citing Who Profits research findings that the company supplies smartphones and cellular networks to the Israeli military, as well as providing support for the Israeli Police’s communication and surveillance systems. The Herald was not able to find additional information on those claims. 

Northrop Grumman

Northrop Grumman is an American aerospace and defense manufacturer. 

BDC cited AFSC claims that Northrop Grumman supplies the Israeli Navy with a Sa’ar 5 Class Corvette missile ship used to enforce the blockade of the Gaza strip and manufactures parts for fighter jets used by the Israeli military. 

In a 2015 press release, Northrop Grumman wrote that the company had delivered the center fuselage for the first F-35 strike fighter which would be purchased by Israel. 

A press release from the Defense Security Cooperation Agency revealed that Israel plans to purchase $774 million worth of tank cartridges and other military equipment, principally contracted by Northrop Grumman and General Dynamics. 

RTX Corporation (formerly Raytheon and United Technologies)

RTX Corporation, established from a merger of Raytheon and United Technologies, is a defense and aerospace company. 

BDC recommends divesting from RTX because it provides the Israeli military with missiles, bombs, drones and other munitions. 

BDC cited a 2009 Amnesty International report claiming that fragments of RTX-made bombs were found in Gaza. A Defense Security Cooperation Agency press release also stated that RTX has been contracted to manufacture $102.5 million of missiles and other equipment for the Israeli government. 

RTX Corporation has publicized its connection to Israel and its efforts to help build the Iron Dome, Israel’s missile defense system. 

Textron

Textron is a Providence-based $12.9 billion, multi-industry company involved in defense manufacturing. 

BDC hopes to divest from Textron due to the use of its aircraft by the Israeli army.

Textron Aviation Defense’s website  and the Textron subsidiary Beechcraft’s website celebrates the use of its Beechcraft T-6 aircraft for training purposes by the Israeli Air Force. 

According to Amnesty International, during negotiations with Boeing, Israel threatened to buy helicopters from Textron instead. 

The Jerusalem Post also reported on the Israeli Air Force's use of the Beechcraft King Air B200 aircraft and the Beechcraft Bonanza 36.  

Safariland 

Safariland manufactures body armor, weapons and other tactical gear for military, law enforcement and personal use. 

BDC writes that Safariland has manufactured munitions and tear gas canisters used by the Israeli army on Palestinian protesters. 

In 2018, Forbes reported that Safariland’s majority owner has “diversified network of defense equipment companies whose customers include ... Israel.” 

Kate Butts

Kate Butts is a Senior Staff Writer covering University Hall. Outside of the Herald, she loves running, board games and Trader Joe's snacks.