Providence City Council passes “equity-driven” cannabis zoning ordinance

The new ordinance changes municipal zoning codes to ensure safety while supporting the cannabis industry.

The ordinance expands on the 2022 Rhode Island Act on Cannabis, which legalized recreational marijuana use in the state.

On Thursday, the Providence City Council voted 12-2 to pass the cannabis zoning ordinance, which includes “equity-driven zoning and public safety measures” and amends the zoning code with additional guidance for cannabis retailers on licensing and approval processes.

The ordinance expands on the 2022 Rhode Island Act on Cannabis, which legalized recreational marijuana use in the state. It established six different cannabis retail zones in the state, as well as an independent commission to grant licenses to a maximum of four cannabis retailers per zone. 

One of these retailers must be an applicant “that has been disproportionately impacted by criminal enforcement of marijuana laws” as defined by the act. Another must be an enterprise owned and operated by its employees. 

The ordinance now stipulates that cannabis retailers must only occupy the area designated to them by the city. Any space on the property that is not used for cannabis cultivation or retail purposes “must be segregated from the facility by a wall or similar structure.” Storefronts may not be located within 500 feet of any preexisting schools. 

For a retailer to operate in Providence, applicants must submit proof of licensure to “cultivate, acquire and/or dispense” in the state, take necessary measures to contain noise and odor associated with cannabis retail and submit the facility’s security plans and “staffing numbers for all hours of each day,” the ordinance reads.

“By aligning municipal zoning with state licensing categories, the ordinance ensures that communities disproportionately harmed by past marijuana laws … can meaningfully benefit from the cannabis industry,” the City Council’s press release reads.

At the City Council meeting, Councilman Oscar Vargas said that this ordinance required many public hearings to ensure the responsible development of this industry in Providence. 

“This is for the future of our city, the future of our kids,” he said.

Avani Ghosh

Avani Ghosh is a Metro Editor covering politics & justice and community & activism. She is a junior from Ohio studying Health & Human Biology and International & Public Affairs. She is an avid earl grey enthusiast and can be found making tea in her free time.