Plant City spreads its roots with new Barrington location

New bike-friendly location brings plant-based eats to Rhode Island’s East Bay.

Plant-based snacks, grab-and-go meals and refrigerated goodies line the shelves of Plant City’s Barrington location, located right next to the East Bay Bike path.

Plant City has expanded from its original home in Providence, having recently opened a new location in Barrington. 

Opened in 2019, the plant-based eatery is “the world’s first plant-based food hall and marketplace,” according to their website. Owner Kim Anderson describes the business as “a vehicle to share with people how they can eat sustainably, healthily and compassionately out in the world.” 

This isn’t the first time Plant City attempted to expand. After the COVID-19 pandemic, Anderson opened two drive-through “Plant City X” locations, one in Middletown and the other in Warwick. While Anderson said that the Warwick location is still a “huge success,” the Middletown location did not garner as much clientele and closed in February of this year.

The decision to close the location in Middletown went hand in hand with the idea to open Plant City Barrington. Located directly next to the East Bay Bike Path, the newest branch of Plant City is “another test for how we can get more people eating and enjoying healthier food made from plants,” Anderson said.

According to employee Hayley Gasbarro ’24, East Bay residents “are responding really well” to the new location. 

“We’ve been needing a place like this forever,” said Christine Lane, a Barrington resident who has become a regular at the new location. Having the restaurant closer to home has allowed Lane and her family to try out plant-based eating “without sacrificing taste.” 

“We came in cautiously optimistic, and we’ve become fangirls,” Lane said.

The new location also solves many vegan-curious patrons’ Washington Bridge woes. The Lane family had tried out the Providence location in the past, but “especially with the bridge, (Barrington) is just so much more convenient,” Lane said.

Cheyenne Walmsley has worked at Plant City since its opening in 2019. While she “has always loved” Plant City she now prefers the “vibes” at the new location. According to her, Plant City Barrington is more casual. “I don’t even feel like I have to get dressed,” she said.  

Anderson wants the Barrington location to spread the word about how impactful eating plant-based food can be. 

“Plus, if it's delicious, why not?” she said.

Maya Kelly

Maya Kelly is a Metro senior staff writer who covers health and environment. When she's not at The Herald, you can find her hanging from an aerial silk, bullet journaling, or stress-baking.