New COVID-19 vaccine will be available on campus starting next month

Hours for vaccine clinics will be released in the coming days.

The new COVID-19 and flu vaccines will be available to students at Brown within the next month. 

The University will distribute the new vaccines on campus, with clinic hours being announced in the coming days, said Vanessa Britto, who oversees Brown’s health and wellness division. The updated vaccines were recommended by the CDC for people who are older than six months.

Surges of COVID-19 typically occur during the summer and winter, according to Ashish Jha, dean of the School of Public Health. The CDC recommended the vaccine to protect against a potential surge during the colder months. 

Unlike the flu, infection levels of COVID-19 “linger at a low level” before rising “back up,” Jha explained. This happens because, as the virus evolves, previous versions of vaccines aren’t as useful, requiring an updated product for proper protection.   

The new vaccine was developed to protect against the latest strain of COVID-19, called KP.2. 

“The virus that’s dominant right now is very different from the virus that was dominant six months ago or a year ago,” Jha said. “So even if you got infected a year ago, you’re not going to have that much protection from that infection.” 

According to Jha, the new vaccine is especially important for people that are immunocompromised and older adults. He advised students to talk to their older relatives or those who are most at risk about receiving the vaccine.

Jennifer Nuzzo, director of the Pandemic Center at the School of Public Health, encouraged students to take precautionary measures against COVID-19, such as using a mask in indoor spaces. She also encouraged students not to wave off any symptoms as a cold and to test for the disease in order to prevent further spread of the virus.

Claire Song

Claire Song is a Senior Staff Writer covering science & research. She is a freshman from California studying Applied Math-Biology. She likes to drink boba in her free time.