Hazel Origin Coffee opens in Chen Family Hall after a year of anticipation

The cafe, which offers many specialty beverages, opened its College Hill location on Saturday.

The new cafe boasts specialty coffee, artisan pastries and fresh, in-house made food items.

Groggy early morning classes are about to get a little less grim, as students can now turn to Hazel Origin Coffee — College Hill’s newest cafe on the edge of South Campus.

The family-owned coffee spot opened on Brook Street this Saturday, on the ground floor of Chen Family Hall. The grand-opening marks Hazel Origin’s second location in Rhode Island. Its first location opened in Pawtucket last October. 

The new cafe boasts specialty coffee, artisan pastries and fresh food items made in-house. With its indoor and outdoor seating arrangements and bright ambience, the coffee shop has been highly anticipated by Brunonians ever since the University announced its upcoming arrival last year.

That excitement was palpable, as dozens of students and community members flocked to the small cafe on opening day. 

While on campus during her summer UTRA, Salena Zhu ’27 noticed the ongoing construction underneath Chen Family Hall, and followed Hazel Origin’s Instagram account to ensure she was notified when it opened. After Zhu had lunch with Isabelle Boun ’27 at the Sharpe Refectory, the duo decided to pay Hazel Origin a visit due to its close proximity to campus and the cafe’s free coffee bag promotion.

“Location-wise, it’s super convenient,” Boun said. Unlike Zhu, Boun had “no idea” the cafe was opening until Zhu told her at lunch.

Zhu’s first impressions were positive. She described the coffee shop as “cute” and “pretty unique compared to other College Hill coffee shops. 

While Boun felt the prices at Hazel Origin were “on the higher side,” she added that the location might make it a good study spot for those lucky enough to snag a seat in the limited space. 

Co-owner Dulce Lopez originally hoped to open the Providence location in April, The Herald previously reported. Lopez and her husband Olvin first entered conversations with the University in December 2022, when the Brook Street Residence Halls were still under construction. 

“As early as the first conversation, it was clear to us that (the Lopezes have) a deep dedication to the craftsmanship of coffee,” said John Luipold, the University’s vice president of business affairs, auxiliary Services and real estate, in an August 2023 press release. “The wholehearted approach they take to everything about their business will create an exceptional coffee experience for College Hill students and residents.”

The couple immigrated from Honduras to the United States in 2022 after several years of experience in the coffee industry. Many of Hazel Origin’s coffee beverages utilize beans sourced from various Central and Latin American growers.

In March, Lopez expressed a desire to hire the University’s students for part-time positions at the cafe. At that point, the cafe was in its final stages of assembly, decoration and inspection.

Maya Kelly

Maya Kelly is a Metro senior staff writer who covers health and environment. When she's not at The Herald, you can find her hanging from an aerial silk, bullet journaling, or stress-baking.

Tom Li

Tom Li is a metro editor covering the Health & Environment and Development & Infrastructure beats. He is from Pleasanton, California, and is concentrating in Economics and International & Public Affairs. He is an avid RIPTA passenger and enjoys taking (and criticizing) personality tests in his free time.

Avani Ghosh

Avani Ghosh is a Metro Editor covering politics & justice and community & activism. She is a junior from Ohio studying Health & Human Biology and International & Public Affairs. She is an avid earl grey enthusiast and can be found making tea in her free time.