100 Brown faculty sign letter in support of divestment

The signatories argue that the University would be violating its goals and principles in not taking action on divestment.

<p>The faculty argue that divestment is a social responsibility aligned with Brown’s commitments as a research and educational institution.</p>

The faculty argue that divestment is a social responsibility aligned with Brown’s commitments as a research and educational institution.

One hundred faculty members signed a letter in support of the divestment proposal currently being reviewed by Brown’s advisory committee.

The Advisory Committee on University Resources Management, or ACURM, will issue a recommendation by Sep. 30 on the topic of divestment. The committee is currently reviewing a proposal by Brown Divest Coalition which identifies 10 companies they claim “facilitate the Israeli occupation of Palestinian territory.” 

ACURM is specifically tasked with evaluating the social harm of Brown’s investments.

In the letter, which was obtained by The Herald, the faculty argue that divestment is a social responsibility aligned with Brown’s commitments as a research and educational institution.

“The case under consideration constitutes precisely one of social harm grave enough that, in not taking action, we stand to be at logical, social and moral variance with our goals and principles as a university,” the letter reads. 

Faculty signatories pointed to two themes of Brown’s “Building on Distinction” strategic plan: “Creating Peaceful, Just and Prosperous Societies” and “Using Science and Technology to Improve Lives.”

“A reasonable person may ask why an institution committed to promoting ‘just, peaceful and prosperous societies’ should, as a matter of coherence and principle, be invested (whether directly, indirectly, or through potential exposure) in such entities,” the letter continued. 

Faculty members also cited the International Court of Justice’s advisory opinion that Israel’s treatment of Palestinians violates international law. The letter urged ACURM and the Corporation to take action in response to the ruling of the ICJ and other similar organizations. Signatories argued that these organizations have already completed the act of observation and evidence-gathering that allow investors to act in informed ways.

“We cannot claim ignorance, whatever may be our beliefs or political affiliations,” faculty wrote in the letter. 

The letter called for additional action beyond divesting from the 10 companies identified in the report currently under ACURM’s consideration. The faculty wrote that Brown should show “ethical coherence and leadership in this time of polarization” by ceasing all investments in companies involved in the trade or manufacturing of weapons. 

ACURM will make a recommendation before the Brown Corporation’s vote in October. According to University Spokesperson Brian Clark, all materials submitted to ACURM are “being read closely and considered by the committee.”

Cate Latimer

Cate Latimer is a senior staff writer covering faculty and higher education. She is from Portland, OR, and studies English and Urban Studies. In her free time, you can find her playing ultimate frisbee or rewatching episodes of Parks and Rec.