Delaney '15: How about 0.5?

Why is it that people can get credit for an art extracurricular but nothing for an athletic one?

Should the University offer credit to musicians for lessons and chamber music participation at Brown? Should the University offer credit for VISA0100: “Studio Foundation,” VISA1110: “Drawing I” or VISA1510: “Photography I”? What about theater and dance classes? If so, why? And if not, why not? Now consider the following: Should the University offer credit for participation in physical activity?

All of the aforementioned categories include the opportunity, as they rightfully and most certainly should, to receive academic credit here at Brown — all except for the last one. Why is that? I would like to offer a potential reason or two as to why this might be the case, and, in turn, suggest why Brown should consider offering credit for fitness and physical activity.

To start, there aren’t that many differences between those who practice the arts and those who engage in physical activity. Both groups of people often devote extensive amounts of time to practicing, in the case of the artist, or to training, in the case of the fitness enthusiast. As a musician, I can vouch for those who know how much time it takes to develop the skills to play an instrument well. Artists spend a great deal of time in practice and repeat motions over and over to get them right. Even those who take art or dance classes to try something new know it takes time and concerted effort in order to learn how to execute the techniques and moves they are taught.

And the same holds for fitness and physical activity, despite what we tend to think. Athletes at Brown, students who go climbing on Sundays and everyone who goes to the Nelson Fitness Center, runs Blackstone or cycles on the East Bay Bike Path: You all know that you can’t just get up and run a six minute mile, bench press 145 pounds or bike at level 17 on those godforsaken Life Fitness bikes. It takes time and effort to reach goals like that.

A major reason why I feel schools are hesitant to give credit for physical activity is that it is often viewed as a “less intelligent” way for students to spend their time. The arts come off as intellectual in a way that physical activity does not. But to this I would ask: How do we measure intelligence? I am sure that many if not all of you who are reading this have taken some health or fitness class in your lives. So you know that physical activity is one of the best ways to learn how to keep yourself healthy and functioning. It can relieve stress, strengthen your heart and body and help develop solid nutritional habits, among countless other healthy lessons. It can also teach us to establish daily routines and set goals for the future. If nothing else, physical activity is “intelligent” because these are lessons that we can use forever, long after we leave Brown.

When asked about why athletics and academics should be separated, most people say something along the following lines: “We’re at school to learn subject matter and become smarter, to prepare for life outside of school. Fitness and physical activity are extracurriculars.” Maybe they are, but so are music lessons and most other art classes here at Brown. The majority of students who participate in these activities aren’t looking to be professional artists after college. They just love what they do and don’t want to give it up.

At the core, course credit around here seems to be made available for students who are sacrificing time and effort in order to pursue that which they are passionate about. Students at Brown are some of the smartest and most diverse young people in the entire world. Some of us choose to devote our time and effort solely to school. Others divide their time and pursue art, dance, music, athletics or a combination of all the above. But athletes and fitness enthusiasts are the only ones in that group who don’t get credit. Performance music classes offer a half credit per semester, and most other forms of art offer one credit. This is all deserved — but can’t we include sports and fitness in there?

I propose the University looks into two things: first, developing fitness and health programs students can take for credit, and second, offering half credits to students who wish to pursue more serious forms of physical activity here — for instance, athletes during the semester in which they are in season. Physical activity is extremely beneficial to our health and livelihood and should be encouraged among students. Many students spend more than an hour each day working out on their own, and athletes at Brown often spend upwards of 20 hours per week in training. Why is it that people can get credit for an art extracurricular but nothing for an athletic one?

When you disagree with me, as many of you will, write your reasons down. Why is it that you instinctively feel fitness should be separated from academics in a different way than the arts are? All I’m looking for is discussion.

Danny Delaney ’15 has played the cello for 17 years and takes lessons at Brown. He is also a walk-on athlete who got in on his own. He can be reached at daniel_delaney@brown.edu.