NYPD monitors Muslim students 

The New York Police Department monitored the activity of Muslim students and professors at colleges throughout the Northeast including Yale and Penn from 2006 to 2007, the Associated Press reported this week. In addition to monitoring student association websites, the NYPD sent officers undercover to report on student activity, according to an article published by the Guardian.

NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said the police department monitored Muslim student associations because 12 former members of such associations have been arrested or convicted on terrorism charges in the past, the Associated Press reported.

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg defended the police department Tuesday, according to the Guardian. 

"The police department goes where there are allegations, and they look to see whether those allegations are true," he said. "That's what you would expect them to do. That's what you would want them to."

But many others, including Yale President Richard Levin were outraged by the news, the Wall Street Journal reported.

In a message to the Yale community Monday, Levin wrote, "I am writing to state, in the strongest possible terms, that police surveillance based on religion, nationality or peacefully expressed political opinions is antithetical to the values of Yale, the academic community and the United States."

Jury finds George Huguely V guilty of second-degree murder 

George Huguely V was found guilty of killing his former girlfriend, University of Virginia student and lacrosse player Yeardley Love, Wednesday. He now faces up to 40 years in prison after being convicted of second-degree murder and up to 20 years in prison for larceny. 

The jury took nine hours to make its decision, according to ABC News. 

Love's mother and sister gave testimony after the jury announced its verdict, ABC News reported. 

"It's still with me every day from sunup to sundown," Love's mother said during her testimony. "Every single day is different. Some days it's just unbearable." 

Spanish landlord arrested for drugging Dartmouth student

A landlord in Barcelona was arrested last week after police searched his apartment, where Dartmouth junior Crispin Scott was found dead in January, according to the Daily Mail online. Scott's autopsy revealed large amounts of sleeping pills in his system.

In 2009, a different student accused the landlord of drugging him with sleeping pills and sexually abusing him, according to El Periodico. The police are trying to determine whether the man is a "serial rapist of young people."

Scott was planning to participate in a study-abroad program in Barcelona, but he died before the program began, the Dartmouth reported.

"As devastated as we are by the loss of our beloved Crispin, the circumstances surrounding his senseless death add to the immense pain for us and others who cared so much for him," Scott's parents told the Dartmouth.