Since gaining its independence from the Swearer Center for Public Service two years ago, the Rhode Island Urban Debate League has increased its impact and continued to create learning opportunities for high school students by allowing them to receive academic credit for debating. Though the league is now a registered nonprofit, the University continues to financially support the organization, helping it to expand to more districts and develop new programs.

While the league originally split from the center two years ago, "we are kind of at (the) jumping point now" for expansion, said Ashley Belanger, executive director of the league. The league currently has four members on its Board of Directors and hopes to double the board's size by May, Belanger added. The league also plans to engage more universities, local businesses and philanthropists as the program expands. The program currently reaches six Providence County districts.

The league was created in 1999 through a Royce Fellowship funded by the Swearer Center and became an independent nonprofit when it separated from the center two years ago. The league continues to organize debate leagues throughout the state and "engages students in policy debate programs in order to improve academic outcomes and increase college readiness," according to its website.

The center still houses the league and provides funding and resources. The league also relies on funding from the National Association for Urban Debate Leagues in order to remain an independent organization, Belanger said. 

"We outgrew our place at Brown," Belanger said. "It became very, very difficult for us to fundraise within Brown and, because our budget needed to grow, because of the number of students growing, it became necessary to seek independence."

Christie Louie '12, a community fellow for the league said financial cuts in the Swearer Center's budget also led the league to become independent. 

"Our former executive director was one of the Swearer Center employees who was laid off when the funding was cut," Louie said.  The group was in the process of expanding when the separation occurred, she added. 

Brown students continue to be very involved in the league and recently created additional leadership positions for volunteers to accommodate growing interest. Louie said the league hopes to stop relying on the Swearer Center for funding in the future but said she thinks this will not happen soon due to budget constraints. Woonsocket High School and the Juanita Sanchez Educational Complex are the two schools currently participating in the expanded learning opportunity program. Students receive academic credit for participating in the league, Belanger said.

Ryan Dwyer, program assistant of the league and AmeriCorps volunteer, participated in the program as a high school student. He said the organization's programs were transformative for him, and he is now working to make the league more sustainable in the future. 

"Its program goal is to alleviate poverty and get people out of poverty. I know, I believe in my heart that debating does that — just that," Dwyer said.