Four hundred fourteen students studied abroad through University programs in the 2010-11 academic year, the fewest in the past 10 years and a 7.4 percent decrease from 2009-10. These figures include students from other institutions who study abroad with Brown programs.

The financial downturn may have resulted in more students deciding to remain on campus, said Kendall Brostuen, director of the Office of International Programs. Nick Donias '12, who studied abroad last year, said several of his friends chose to stay at Brown because of financial constraints.

But many students attributed the decision not to study abroad to a desire to take full advantage of the learning opportunities at Brown.

"This is your only college experience. I don't want to give up an entire semester," said Marlene Tai '12. "I can go abroad at any time."

Brostuen maintained that the international program is an important part of the Brown experience, not a break from it. "It is not separate," he said. He pointed to the example of the Global Independent Study Initiative, in which students work with a faculty member on a project of their creation during the time abroad.

The University strongly encourages students to consider international travel, said Ned Quigley, associate director of the OIP. The flexibility of the New Curriculum allows Brown students more freedom to go abroad than at other schools, he said.  

Donias said his time abroad was a valuable part of his undergraduate experience. As a Meiklejohn, he said he encourages first-year advisees to consider studying abroad.

Many students are involved internationally outside of study abroad programs, Brostuen said. Various summer programs, including Undergraduate Teaching and Research Awards, facilitate student travel and learning across the world.

Despite the recent decline in participation, Brostuen said the University consistently ranks high among peer schools in the percentage of undergraduates studying abroad.