With the new all-access pass offered by the Physical Education Department this semester, pass holders can attend an unlimited number of classes — a welcome change, according to athletics department administrators and enrollment statistics.

The introduction of the $99 all-access pass — which buys access to classes including yoga, pilates, cardio kickboxing and spinning — has been "wildly successful and unbelievable" just over three weeks into the program, according to Matthew Tsimikas, the assistant director of the athletics and physical education department.

"We wanted the PE program to mirror the Brown curriculum," Tsimikas said. For an affordable price, students have the opportunity to try a range of classes and maintain good health and fitness, he said.

In the past, students had to sign up for classes they were interested in. The cost of one class ranged from $65– $110, so a student taking three classes spent roughly $250. With the new pass, students can take any number of classes for $99, Tsimikas said. On April 5, the department is launching "55 at 5" — students will be able to sign up for a pass for the remaining five weeks of the semester for $55, he said.

Ana Bermudez '12, who has an all-access pass, said this system makes more financial sense for students. However, the classes are on a first-come, first-serve basis, so for popular classes like Zumba, students must arrive 20 minutes in advance to get a spot, Bermudez added.

This was also a problem previously. Popular classes filled up quickly, and people could not enroll once they were full, Bermudez said. With the all-access pass, if a student really wants to take a class, he or she can just show up early, she said.

Currently, there are more than 600 people enrolled for the pass, Tsimikas said. Though the program is still under review, he said all signs indicate that the department will continue to offer it next year.

Tsimikas said that ensuring that people have actually signed up for the pass before they enter the class has been a challenge. Anita Bevans, who teaches yoga at the Bear's Lair, said that this has not been a problem for her because students simply sign in after class.
Bevans said she thinks the "all-access pass is a unique idea that allows maximum participation." It gives students a chance to try something new instead of sticking to what they already know, she said.

Bermudez added that students also must be more disciplined about attending because they are not registered for one specific class.

Having classes at locations other than the Olney-Margolies Athletic Center, like the Bear's Lair, makes for a more "well-rounded experience," she said.

Tsimikas said the department is working to meet demand.

"We are doing our best to accommodate the fitness needs of all students" during peak hours, which are from 4 to 9 p.m., he said.

Tsimikas added that when the new Fitness and Aquatic Center is ready, it will have three multi-purpose studios to be used for more classes.

"Keeping the status quo with the fitness program would have been easy, but maximizing the potential for fitness of students, faculty and staff is more important," he said.